What Is The Best Hypothyroidism Diet?
A hypothyroidism diet or sometimes called a hypothyroid diet is a meal plan that comprise of foods that are needed to improve thyroid hormone secretion of the thyroid glands. This diet plan makes use of foods and meal preparation that takes into consideration the important foods and food stuffs that can improve the health and function of the thyroid glands which will ultimately treat hypothyroidism.
Hypothyroidism is the underactivity of the thyroid glands which leads to a decrease in the secretion of thyroid hormones. Decreased amounts of these hormones has many effects; it can cause disruption of the many metabolic functions that are being regulated by the thyroid hormones, lack of energy, decreased ability to regulate body temperature, a decrease in cognitive ability and may even lead to decreased ability to utilize nutrients in food.
Personal Recomendation From The Owner Of This Blog
The safest and most natural treatment that you can use to help to cure your hypothyroidism is without doubt, Hypothyroidism Revolution. We hear stories daily about the success people are having with this fases treatment. Its completely natural and completely safe and scientifically proven to work and work well.
If you would like to learn more about Hypothyroidism Revolution PDF, I highly recommend checking out the link Ive supplied below;
With a hypothyroid diet, foods that are known to improve thyroid hormone secretion become a part of a patient’s daily diet.
Why is nutrition important in treating hypothyroidism?
Nutrition is important in the treatment of hypothyroidism as well as many kinds of illnesses.
- There are certain foods that must be avoided when a person is diagnosed to have an underactive thyroid. These foods directly affect secretion of the thyroid hormones like soya, soy products and green leafy vegetables like cabbages and Brussels sprouts. With proper nutrition, foods like these will be eliminated from the diet and meals are prepared without traces of these foods as well, for this is important to get a diet for hypothyroidism.
- There are foods that are known to have natural properties that can stimulate thyroid hormone secretion. Foods that are rich in iodine like tuna, cod, iodized salt, kelp, vegetables, strawberries and milk products must be added to the hypothyroidism diet and must be taken in adequate amounts as well to maximize the their thyroid-stimulating benefits. Foods that are rich in selenium are also perfect in increasing thyroid hormone secretion; examples are eggs, mushrooms, meats, poultry, sunflower seeds, nuts, onions, garlic and eggs.
- Proper nutrition also prevents hypothyroidism as well as other illnesses. You may never need to use synthetic thyroid hormone preparation to be able to improve thyroid hormone levels; these may be the most popular treatment for hypothyroidism but may have side effects like palpitations, restlessness and insomnia.
- We are what we eat, and eating foods that can benefit your thyroid glands will help you become healthier. But nutrition must be combined with other treatments as well like stress reduction, cleansing and possibly taking supplements to be able to effectively manage hypothyroidism.
What are the benefits of using a hypothyroidism diet?
- With a diet specially made for patients with hypothyroidism, foods that stimulate the thyroid glands are added to the diet and are also strategically incorporated to different meals of the day (breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks). This will ensure that the thyroid levels will gradually stabilize after such time.
- With a hypothyroidism diet, you will also become very critical about eating foods that can suppress the function of the thyroid glands. Foods that patients with hypothyroidism unknowingly eat may soon be removed from the diet to make sure that any therapeutic treatments and medications will become more effective.
- With this kind of diet for hypothyroidism, a patient diagnosed with this disease will be able to make healthy food choices which is helpful from the time you purchase food from the market, when you prepare foods and when you cook food. And as a patient learns the basics of starting a thyroid diet, he can follow a strict diet regimen to be able to cure hypothyroidism in no time at all.
- Having hypothyroidism is a lifelong health condition that needs a strict diet regimen and living a better and healthier life. A patient who understands what his illness needs as treatment will likely be able to adhere to his treatment plan and to make better lifestyle choices to prevent aggravating his condition.
Example of a weekly hypothyroidism diet:
You can help control hypothyroidism with a diet plan which includes foods that are rich in iodine, selenium, vitamin B6 and vitamin C that are all known in boosting thyroid functions. Here is a sample of a day’s meal plan. And in creating a weekly meal plan, you can make tweaks in serving other kinds of fruits, vegetables and meat that are perfect for the treatment of hypothyroidism.
- 1 Buckwheat pancake
- ½ cup of applesauce
- ½ cup tomato juice
- ½ serving of lean meat or 1 to 1 ½ egg whites
- A teaspoon of margarine for your pancakes
For midmorning snack:
- 3 cups of air popped popcorn
- 1 medium sized apple
- 1 ½ slice of bread
- 1 plum
- 1 cup of skim milk
- I cup raw non-starchy vegetables or 1 cup cooked broccoli
- 2 servings of lean meat: choice of tuna in oil, cod or poultry
For afternoon snack:
- An ounce of pretzels
- 1 serving of fruit in season
- ½ couscous salad with 1 ½ piece of roll
- 1 ½ cups of watermelon
- 1 cup of skim milk
- 2 servings of lean meat: a choice of sirloin steak, tuna in oil, chicken breast, etc
- 1 ½ teaspoons of margarine and 1 ½ teaspoons of salad dressing in couscous
For evening snack:
- ½ cup canned pears
- 6 to 8 ounces of skim milk
- 6 pieces of almonds
This is an example of a 1,900 calorie meal plan which considers all the important foods that are needed for developing a healthy thyroid. You may substitute different kind of fruits in season like mangoes, raspberries, strawberries, pineapples, pomegranates and kiwis for as long as you maintain a one serving rule for snacks. In substituting vegetables for salads and side dishes, you may also serve broccoli provided you limit to only 1 to 2 servings per week. You may also serve red cabbage and just like serving broccoli, you must limit consumption to only 1 to 2 servings in a week.
Lean meats may be substituted with turkey, duck, lamb, oysters, crabs, salmon and shrimp. Milk may be substituted with milk products like yoghurt, cheese and butter, so, this is the perfect example of a hypothyroidism diet.