Hypothyroidism is a medical term for a condition known as underactive thyroid.
When the thyroid gland produces less than normal levels of hormones, the body can’t function as it should.
This causes a host of ill effects, such as stiff muscles, sore joints and muscle weakness.
If left undetected or untreated, hypothyroidism can also cause more serious health issues, such as depression.
Depression can be a debilitating condition that affects not only your life, but that of your loved ones as well. Getting out of bed can be a chore, and it affects how you live your daily life. There are drugs that can help; however, many of these come with nasty side effects, and can be cost-prohibitive.
Adjusting Your Diet And Lifestyle
Luckily, there are ways to treat depression that don’t require expensive medications or treatments. By making a few adjustments to your lifestyle and diet, you can be on the road to a happier existence. The best way to lift depression is to raise serotonin levels.
Serotonin is a monoamine neurotransmitter, otherwise known as a ‘feel good’ hormone that is believed to be responsible for feelings of happiness and well-being. When serotonin levels drop, depression and feelings of discontent and unhappiness can set in. Medications like Prozac are meant to raise serotonin levels in the body.
Natural Ways Of Treating Depression
- Exercise: Vigorous exercise has been proven to raise serotonin levels and that’s why you feel so ‘great’ after a good workout session. You don’t have to spend hours in a gym every day, but you should at least get out for a brisk walk for at least 20 minutes daily. Pop in an exercise video or even dance around your living room. Anything that gets you moving will improve your mood.
- Healthy diet: Processed foods, trans fats, white sugar and artificial sweeteners all play havoc with your body and are full of chemicals that can alter brain function, lower serotonin levels and cause depression, as well as other debilitating conditions. Eat more fruits and vegetables, whole grains and lean meats. Buy organic whenever possible and get your omega 3 fatty acids from sources like fish or fish oil supplements.
- Vitamin D: With so much talk these days about how bad the sun’s rays are for you, everyone seems to want to stay indoors. But getting outside every day is important to get enough vitamin D. Take a walk in the park or along the beach. Go for a hike in the woods or just sit out on your back deck with a book for 30 minutes. It will do wonders for you.
- Get your rest: Getting enough sleep at night will have you feeling rested and refreshed in the morning. Take a bath before bed to relax you, or curl up with a book. Find a night-time routine to help you fall asleep peacefully. Some find it helpful to write in a journal about the day’s events.
- Nuts: Walnuts and cashews are especially helpful in stabilizing hormones that can contribute to depression and they have plenty of B vitamins that help improve your mood.
Get Proper Diagnosis Of Hypothyroidism
Depression will not disappear overnight, and neither will hypothyroidism. Many people are now looking for natural alternatives to cure chronic conditions and diseases, rather than suffer the side effects that so many medications have. It’s important to talk to your doctor and get a proper diagnosis before trying to self-treat your condition.
Our diets and lifestyles have contributed to suffering many chronic conditions, and sometimes, the only way to cure them is to change the way we eat and live.
Want To Treat Your Hypothyroidism and Increase Your Energy?
A lot of people who thought that they “will never treat their hypothyroidism”, did exactly just that with the help of the popular and effective “e-book” called: The Hypothyroidism Solution Book™.
The Author, Duncan Capicchiano, is a Fully Qualified Naturopath and Full Member of the Australian Natural Medicine Society claims that anyone can treat their hypothyroidism naturally without using any drugs.
One of the E-book’s success stories stated:
Thanks so much. I got the program, and while I havent lost much weight yet, I am AWAKE! I feel so much better that I have been able to start walking my dog again. (I was literally too tired before.) -Cathy Soda (Georgia, USA)
You definitely won’t find this in any bookstore or shopping mall but if you’ve tried everything and nothing has worked then this might be the best option you have to treating your hypothyroidism.