Everybody needs to sleep but some people underestimate the importance of sleep. The question what we need to ask is: why do we need it and what happens to our bodies during that time? Even better question would be: what would happen to us if we did NOT rest during the night? So, let’s find out why it is so important to drink your milk before bedtime and visit the everything-is-possible-land aka. dreamland 🙂
1. Sleep helps the brain commit new info to memory. When studying It’s always advised to rehearse things before going to bed. So, don’t underestimate the importance of it – sleeping helps you to get better at school, at your job and remembering all the names of the dwarfs from “Snow white and the seven dwarfs”, you know, when somebody from work should ever ask for it.
2. Sleep deprivation results in a decrease in immune system function as measured by white blood cells count (they protect the body) and a decrease in the release of growth hormone (needed for production of proteins).
If you don’t take the journey to bed you will pick up more diseases than the bad-luck-Brian. If that’s not motivating you enough then non-existent progress in the gym might. Sleeping in as important for muscle building as eating right and lifting the weights are. You can’t skip one and hope for results.
My honest Sleep Tracks review will introduce to you a really powerful program on sleeping improvement
3. Sleep helps people maintain healthy emotional and social functioning while we are awake (during the it the parts of the brain that control emotions and social interactions are given rest). In simplest words – no sleeping an you will go crazy. Unless you are a fan of walking around like a dead zombie with the empathy skills of one, I suggest you to fully rest.
4. Insufficient sleep leads to impairment of memory and physical performance. If the scarcity of sleap continues, mood swings and hallucinations may develop. The effects might resemble being drunk but without the fun part. Walking around on the street or driving with a car while being underslept might result in a seriously dangerous outcomes such as car accidents and death. See where I’m getting at? Not resting might kill you.
5. On tasks used for testing coordination, sleep-deprived people perform as poorly as or worse than people who are intoxicated. As I said in the last point, if you want to be safe then don’t gamble with your rest time.
6. Chronic sleep shortage may cause weight gain by affecting the way our bodies operate with carbohydrates and by changing degree of hormones that influence our appetite. If the previous effect of not gaining muscle was not enough then for people who want to lose some fat, or a lot of fat, or a TON of fat.. you better start taking your rest time seriously if you don’t want your hard work of training and dieting to go to waste.
So, these are the main points that I found from the all mighty web that describe what will happen in you try to play bad-ass and stop sleeping for long periods of time.
I’m sure this is a good excuse for all of you kids to tell your mothers that the reason for sleeping till 11 AM was because you wanted to be safe on the streets, take the maximum out of your training efforts or sustain your sanity. I know this information is powerful so use it wisely my young padawan 🙂
I hope you enjoyed reading this post as much I enjoyed writing it. If you have any questions then make sure to send me an email (you can find the address on the “contact” page).