Heredity, age, extreme styling or sun exposure; whatever the cause is, hair loss can wreck your looks and lower your self confidence. Avoiding some styling mistakes, proper care and maintenance can lend a helping hand to assist in growth of your hair. Here are some tips for natural hair growth.
#1 Keep your hair moisturized
To prevent hair loss, it is essential to find out the actual cause of it and start taking care of your mane as soon as possible to prevent any further damage. Most of the time, the main cause of hair breakage is excessive dryness. It is more prominent in people with curly hair. To prevent breakage, keep your hair moisturized and indulge in hot oil treatments to reduce the brittleness of your hair. Take any natural oil like coconut, olive, jojoba or canola oil and warm it. Massage it on your scalp and leave it on for an hour. You may also wrap a warm towel over your head to increase the absorption of oil. Rinse you hair using a mild shampoo.
#2 Eat right for hair growth
What you eat surely shows up in your hair. A diet high in proteins may help in hair growth as hair is made up of proteins and a deficiency of it may cause thinning of hair. Eat lean meats, soy, eggs, beans and nuts for a protein boost. Foods containing omega-3 fatty acids and vitamins are considered good for healthy hair and helps in promoting growth of hair. Apart from this, a food rich in iron and zinc may help in promoting hair growth and prevent hair loss.
#3 Go for sulfate-free shampoo
Avoid using shampoos that contain sulfate. The chemical tend to irritate the scalp and leads to hair loss. Sulfate also strips off the natural oils from the hair shaft making it excessively dry and prone to breakage.
#4 Comb sparingly
It is a myth that combing your hair 100 times results in strong and beautiful hair. The truth is combing too much can cause them to pull from roots and cause hair loss. It is also important to always comb your hair when dry as the hair is most vulnerable to breakage when wet. Always use a wide-tooth comb to brush your hair and don’t forget to use a detangling spray to remove tangles, instead of pulling them harshly.
#5 Always air dry your natural hair
Using a blow dryer to dry your hair could be a quick fix but it may cause irreversible damage to hair. Especially, if you use it on dripping wet hair. It will strip off the natural oils from the shaft and make the hair brittle which may fall easily. It is best to air dry your hair after washing and use blow dryers on rare occasions.
#6 Massage your scalp for natural hair growth
Massaging your scalp on a regular basis may help in improving circulation of the scalp and promote hair growth. It stimulates the hair follicles, which in turn prevents hair loss. Take a few drops of bay essential oil and mix it with any carrier oil like sesame or almond. Store this infusion in a container and use it every day to massage gently to your scalp. You may use any other natural oil of your choice for a quick regular massage.
#7 Avoid heat styling
Applying heat on hair could be very harmful and may cause excessive hair fall and graying of hair. Avoid using flat irons, hair curlers and blow dryers for styling hair. Excessive heat makes hair dry that tends to break easily. Also avoid using chemicals to perm, straighten or bleach your hair as they disturb the natural composition of the hair and make them prone to breakage.
#8 Use appropriate hair accessories
Hair pins and clips with sharp edges, exposed metal and hanging parts may cause hair to stretch, tangle and break easily. Always use smooth elastic bands instead of rubber bands to hold your hair in place. Rubber bands tend to cause tangles making the hair to break easily. Also keep changing the position of your pony tail as placing it in a particular position repeatedly, puts stress over a specific part of your hair that tend to thin out and break.
#9 See a doctor
If none of the tips help in reducing hair loss, it is advisable to see a doctor. There could be underlying problems that require proper treatment. Some illness causes hair to fall easily like lupus, hypothyroidism, polycystic ovarian syndrome and alopecia areata. Such problems need proper treatment from a professional health care expert. Scalp infections may also bring hair problems and should be addressed as soon as possible. It is also essential to eliminate mental and physical stress from your life as stress is one of the biggest hindrances for natural hair growth.
#10 Home remedies for hair growth
Several home remedies may help in improving the health of your hair making them soft and shiny. They assist in maintaining the natural oil balance in the hair and reduce the brittleness. When used on a regular basis these remedies may aid in natural hair growth.
* Aloe vera– Mix freshly squeezed aloe vera gel with honey and apply it evenly on your scalp. Let it stay for 20-25 minutes and rinse hair thoroughly with water.
* Onion Juice– Extract juice of a onion and apply it on your scalp. Leave it for 15 minutes and wash with a mild shampoo. It boosts the collagen production and therefore aids hair re-growth
* Egg mask– Take a white of one or two eggs and add one teaspoon of olive oil to it. You may also add a teaspoon of honey to it. Mix well and apply it on your hair. Leave it for 20-22 minutes and wash with a mild shampoo.
* Apple cider vinegar– Use diluted apple cider vinegar as the final or last rinse after washing your hair with a mild shampoo. It helps in maintaining the pH balance of the hair and thus promotes hair growth.
* Henna pack– Take one cup of henna powder and mix it with half cup of yoghurt. Wear a pair of gloves and apply it evenly on your scalp and hair. Since henna leaves stains, you must be very careful while applying it. Leave the pack on your hair until it dries and wash off with a mild shampoo. Apart from naturally coloring your hair, henna helps in transforming dry, dull and damaged hair to soft and shining hair. It also strengthens the roots of the hair reducing hair loss.